An increasing number of people worldwide are seeking to learn the English language. There is overwhelming evidence that learning English makes good sense.
- English is a universal language and English language proficiency is a sought after skill.
- 20 -25% of the world’s population speak English as a native or second language.
- A commission has recommended that the teaching of English be mandatory in all French schools and that it be accorded the same importance as the French language thereby taking the position that English is now the “language of international communication”.
- By law, all Spanish schoolchildren are now taught a foreign language from the age of 8 and in some regions, 6 – 98% choose English.
- India will soon be the world’s most populous country. By 2050 India, with a population of 1.6 billion, will have overtaken China (1.4 billion). If India becomes a predominantly English-speaking country, China will have to follow.
- There are 300 million Chinese studying English and many more from India, Korea and the Arab-speaking countries.
- In 2001, the 189 member countries in the United Nations were asked which language they wish to use for communication with embassies from other countries. More than 120 chose English.
- About 75% of the world’s mail, telexes and cables are in English.
- Approximately 60% of the world’s radio programmes are in English.
- About 90% of all Internet traffic is English.